Sunday, March 15, 2009

Laila, Darling, Won't You Ease My Worried Mind?

My post about the mysterious posters lambasting Laila restaurant went up today on Torontoist: http://torontoist.com/2009/03/laila_probably_doesnt_kill.php. Josh Glover, a Torontoist reader, sent us the tip on Tuesday.


I was so nervous initially when I went to talk to Laila owner, Sam. I hadn't ever been to Laila and I didn't know what to expect. I was afraid he was going to get upset, but he turned out to be the sweetest man. He spent a long time telling me about the restaurant and his family. Regarding the posters, he wasn't upset or really surprised at all. He didn't think it was interesting enough to write about but didn't mind if I did.


I also spoke at length with Jim Chan from Toronto Public Health who has been working there for 31 years. In addition to being an inspector and manager, he has worked on, among many other things, investigations of tobacco sales to minors and unregulated retirement homes. He was so knowledegable and helpful and it was inspiring to meet someone whose life's work has been to protect public health. I learned a lot about Toronto Public Health that should make us all feel very secure and well cared for.

No comments: