Thursday, November 1, 2007

The Dalai Lama was fantastic

I had such great plans to write a long, well-thought out blog post on the Dalai Lama talk I went to tonight, but there is just too much to say and I'm so tired that I couldn't do it justice. I took copious notes and I plan on writing a longer piece as soon as I can (maybe tomorrow). In the meantime, I just wanted to say that I loved him. He was charming, warm, funny, pragmatic, and intelligent. I expected him to talk about Buddhism or touch on the political situation in Tibet, but he focussed on simple, fundamental concepts of individual and global happiness that sound obvious, but were explained so well.

He started the talk by saying that he is nothing special. He said he has nothing to offer us, so do not expect much. He's right in that the talk was very down to earth and easy to understand, but its clarity, completeness, and genuine warm feeling were out of the ordinary and I'm glad I got to see it firsthand.

No comments: