Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Izakaya for lunch

I wanted to keep up my campaign of trying new restaurants in the downtown core close to my work, but I was meeting some old friends and I wanted to go somewhere reliable, so we went to Izakaya. As I said in my earlier post, an izakaya is basically a Japanese pub where they serve casual food like yakitori, noodles, and dumplings. So, no sushi here.



I started with the Crisp and Tart drink, which is a mix of lime, Granny Smith and Golden Delicious apples, and mint. It's delicious and so fresh that if you don't drink it fast enough, the apple juice actually oxidizes and turns brown. Maybe with more lime juice, it wouldn't? In any case, it's delicious.




Since I started seeing my new trainer, I've been trying to eat healthier, but I was foiled again. I had been craving rice and tofu, so I ordered an inarizushi appetizer, which is basically deep-fried tofu pockets stuffed with rice. In my mind, I had the aburaage (deep-fried tofu) mixed up with yuba, which is the skin that forms on top of boiled soymilk and is very low in calories. Honest mistake. It was yummy though and served with pickled ginger.




For my main, I had hot soba noodle soup just like last time. Like before, it was very clean-tasting and the noodle was cooked well. This time there was one piece of tempura (onion), two thin slices of pink fishcake, and small piece of rolled egg (thin egg omelette). It felt healthy and nourishing.




This is a bright, pleasant restaurant with good quality food made from fresh ingredients. If you're in the neighbourhood, it's worth trying.

No comments: