Sunday, July 1, 2007

Multicultural Canada Day Festival at Yonge and Dundas Square

Darcy and I ventured downtown this afternoon for the teeny tiny Multicultural Canada Day Festival at Yonge and Dundas Square. I didn't think it would be very big since the square isn't that large, but it turned out have only about 4 food stalls, which was disappointing for me. In my mind, I thought it might resemble the fantastic multicultural festival in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia that has at least 40 different food vendors serving the most exotic things. If you love food and are in Halifax/Dartmouth in June, you can't miss it.

We only spent about 5 minutes at Yonge and Dundas Square, which was just enough for me to get a look at what food was there. There was a cool Malaysian place that was serving pastries called Murtabak which started as a very thin dough fried on a griddle and then filled with chicken or beef and folded over into a square. There was also a Mexican stand, a Ukrainian table with sweets, and a Thai booth run by Pi-Tom's restaurant. I read a bit about this place and the chef/owner (Pi-Tom) grew up in Thailand and opened the original location at Yonge and College in 2004. It was so successful that he opened a new location at Yonge and Davisville last year. I think I'm going to try it soon.

This little festival is a nice diversion if you are already downtown, but I wouldn't plan an outing around it. My festival appetite being unsatisfied, we made our way to check out the Chin International Picnic.

No comments: